Saturday, February 11, 2017

Best YA Books with... Ghosts!



When I read, I typically fall into this rhythm where I read books in the same genre or with a similar supernatural thing going on. And lately I've been reading books with ghosts! I am currently reading The Keeper (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #8) by J.L. Bryan and I absolutely love it! Actually, I love all of the Ellie Jordan series! It's one of my favorite ghostly series, and this inspired me to look back on some of my favorite books with ghosts in them to share with you guys! Now, I don't think the Ellie Jordan series technically falls into the YA genre, but I feel like this is one of those series anyone can read. Lol.

Anyway, onto my list! Here are 10 of my favorite ghostly reads!


The Ghost and the Goth (The Ghost and the Goth, #1)
The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade was a very fun read! As the title suggests, we have the ghost of a dead cheerleader and a goth boy who also happens to be able to talk to the dead... it all adds up to be a whole lot of fun for these high schoolers of two completely different worlds! A plus: This book is written in a dual POV, so not only do you get the POV of Will, the goth, but also Alona, the ghost!
My Review | Goodreads

Other books in the series:

Queen of the Dead (The Ghost and the Goth, #2) Body & Soul (The Ghost and the Goth, #3)


Hereafter (Hereafter, #1)
Hereafter by Tara Hudson was a beautiful book! The romance in it definitely made me swoon! Amelia and Joshua are just so perfect together... except, Amelia is dead.
Can there truly be love after death?
My review | Goodreads

Other books in the series:

Arise (Hereafter, #2) Elegy (Hereafter #3)


Past Midnight (Past Midnight, #1)
Past Midnight by Mara Purnhagen initially caught my attention because it sounded very similar to Ghost Hunters, a show I used to absolutely love! Charlotte's parents have a very interesting job in that they travel around debunking claims of the paranormal. That is, until a real ghost starts stalking Charlotte. Dun, dun, DUN! I really liked this one, and this is one of those series that gets better and better with each and every book!
My review | Goodreads

Other books in the series:

One Hundred Candles (Past Midnight, #2) Beyond the Grave (Past Midnight, #3)


Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1)
Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake... do I even need to say why this is on my list? It's amazing! This is one of the best horror/ghost stories I have ever read! Plus, it has an amazing male protagonist! I don't know about you, but I very rarely find books with a main character who is a guy. Not to mention how badass Anna is!
Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...
My review | Goodreads

Sequel:

Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2)


The Dead and Buried
The Dead and Buried by Kim Harrington is actually a standalone, but it was amazing nonetheless (as are Kim Harrington's other books)! Now, this book may sound like your typical "haunted house" story, but what truly makes this amazing is the delivery. I also adored the relationship between Jade and her little brother... he is the cutest thing ever!

Soon, Jade must face an impossible fact: that her perfect house... is haunted.

Home sweet home...

My review | Goodreads



MARY: The Summoning (Bloody Mary, #1)
MARY: The Summoning by Hillary Monahan... oh man, I love a good Bloody Mary story, and this one was fantastic! it was creepy and haunting and action-packed from the start! It had plenty of twists and turns that kept me guessing, and I also liked how it reminded me a little of my favorite TV show, Supernatural ;)

My review | Goodreads

Sequel:

MARY: Unleashed (Bloody Mary, #2)


Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #1)
Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper by J.L. Bryan, the series that inspired this post. This series is not like your other typical ghost hunting books. Not only do they investigate paranormal situations, but after confirming that they do, indeed, have an entity lurking, they actually remove it! As the title suggests, they trap the ghosts! They have some very cool gadgets to achieve this, which is one of the things I love! That plus, again, it kinda reminds me of Ghost Hunters ;) I think book 3, The Crawling Darkness, has got to be my favorite! It was super creepy! But this whole series is just great!

My review | Goodreads | Amazon FREEBIE

Other books in the series (this is an ongoing series):

Cold Shadows (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #2) The Crawling Darkness (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #3) Terminal  (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper, #4) House of Whispers (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper, #5)
                                                                                  Maze of Souls (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #6) Lullaby (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #7) The Keeper (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #8)


Sugar And Spice And Not So Nice (Mellow Summers, #1)
Sugar And Spice And Not So Nice by Janet McNulty was so much fun and such a quick read! This series is basically about Mellow Summers solving murder mysteries sometimes with the help of ghosts, and sometimes because of ghosts. Either way it's a ton of fun and Mel gets herself in quite some trouble ;) The Mellow Summers series is actually another series I'm not so sure is technically YA, but I feel like anyone can read it.

My review | Goodreads | Amazon FREEBIE

Other books in the series (this is an ongoing series):

       Frogs, Snails, And A Lot Of Wails (Mellow Summers, #2) An Apple A Day Keeps Murder Away (Mellow Summers, #3) Three Little Ghosts (The Mellow Summers, #4) Oh Holy Ghost (Mellow Summers, #5) Where Trouble Roams (Mellow Summers, #6)
Two Ghosts Haunt A Grove (Mellow Summers, #7) Trick Or Treat, Or Murder? (Mellow Summers, #8) Roses Are Red; He's Dead (Mellow Summers, #9) Double, Double, Nothing But Trouble (Mellow Summers, #10) Ring Around The Rosy, Not Another Ghosty (A Mellow Summers Paranormal Mystery Book 11) by [McNulty, Janet] Hickory Dickory Dock The Ghost In The Clock (Mellow Summers, #12)


The Girl from the Well (The Girl from the Well, #1)
The Girl from the Well by Rin Chupeco was another amazing horror! You know the movie The Ring? Yeah, well, that movie and this book were based on the same Japanese legend/myth! That is amazing! Another thing I loved about this book is that it is told in the POV of the ghost Okiku, who kills child murders, because she herself was murdered. I don't know, I just love that! This book was very chilling, so if you love horror, this is a must read for you! The sequel is amazing too, being set place in Suicide Forest in Japan!

My review | Goodreads

Sequel:

The Suffering (The Girl from the Well, #2)


Sisters of Blood and Spirit (The Sisters of Blood and Spirit #1)
Sisters of Blood and Spirit by Kady Cross was another unique, amazing read! This one is about twins. One dead, one alive. The one who's alive being able to communicate with her dead sister. The premise of this is just amazing, and the execution even more so! I have not read the sequel yet, but am very excited to do so!

My review | Goodreads

Sequel:

Sisters of Salt and Iron (The Sisters of Blood and Spirit, #2)


Alright, those are it! Let me know if you have read any of these and what you thought of them! Also, please let me know of any of your favorite ghostly books I did not mention! I love these type of books and am always looking for some new ones to read! Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta go read some more Ellie Jordan... it's just starting to get good!

P.S. If you check out the Amazon freebies, make sure to double check that they are still free! I am pretty sure they are both perma-free, but double check just to make sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment