Friday, February 3, 2017

DNF Reviews: Don't Breathe A Word by Jennifer McMahon + The Postmortal by Drew Magary

Don't Breathe a Word
Title: Don't Breathe A Word

Author: Jennifer McMahon

Publication date: May 2011

Published by: Harper Paperbacks

Source: For review from publishers via Netgalley

Add it to your Goodreads shelf

Synopsis:

On a soft summer night in Vermont, 12-year-old Lisa went into the woods behind her house and never came out again. Before she disappeared, she told her little brother, Sam, about a door that led to a magical place where she would meet the King of the Fairies and become his queen.

Fifteen years later, Phoebe is in love with Sam, a practical, sensible man who doesn't fear the dark and doesn't have bad dreams - who, in fact, helps Phoebe ignore her own. But suddenly the couple is faced with a series of eerie, unexplained occurrences that challenge Sam's hardheaded, realistic view of the world. As they question their reality, a terrible promise Sam made years ago is revealed - a promise that could destroy them all.

My rating: ☆☆☆☆☆

So I read the prologue, but didn't really capture my attention =/ It was really hard for me to get into it... so I just stopped. I couldn’t even tell you what this was about. IDK if I'll pick this book up again to finish it...


The Postmortal
Title: The Postmortal

Author: Drew Magary

Publication date: August 2011

Published by: Penguin Group USA

Source: For review from publishers via Netgalley

Add it to your Goodreads shelf

Synopsis:

John Farrell is about to get "The Cure."

Old age can never kill him now.

The only problem is, everything else still can...

Imagine a near future where a cure for aging is discovered and-after much political and moral debate-made available to people worldwide. Immortality, however, comes with its own unique problems-including evil green people, government euthanasia programs, a disturbing new religious cult, and other horrors.

Witty, eerie, and full of humanity, The Postmortal is an unforgettable thriller that envisions a pre-apocalyptic world so real that it is completely terrifying.

My rating: ☆☆☆☆☆

This book is about, well, basically this Fall Out Boy lyric:


They’ve found the cure to old age! The concept sounds interesting, right? It caught my attention right away and I knew I had to read it! And I gave it a chance. I really, really did! I read 25% of the book, but I just couldn’t finish it. While the concept was amazing, the story? Not so much. I felt like it was going nowhere--like there was no real plot. So I just stopped reading. It’s a shame, really, ‘cause I feel like it had a lot of potential...

:(


Have you read this book? If so, what did you think about it? If not, what do you think? Does it sound like something you might want to read? Leave me a link to your review or comment below! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment